Wednesday, February 13, 2013

a curiosity Pittsburgh-style?

Being a former 'burg resident, of course I am familiar with the much debated "sweeper" v. "vacuum" debate and the linguistic intricacies therein.  And while I consider linguistic variations to be
pretty interesting, I'm left to wonder if perhaps the young man working for our property management company is taking this particular regional variation a bit too literally?  Earlier as I left my apartment, I saw a young man literally SWEEPING the  carpeted hallway floor WITH A BROOM.  Ignoring my eastern-bred contention that, well, sweeping is really only done with a broom and not a "sweeper" as yinz folks in Pittsburgh like to sometimes call  a vacuum cleaner ;0
I wonder why he was trying to clean the carpeted hallways in that manner?
Especially because I have heard others vacuuming the hallways many times before!
Of course, a broom is a lot easier to carry up a flight or two of stairs, so maybe that is the answer.

Anyhow, it was vaguely amusing and perplexing at the same time. It was like a Pittsburgh/Ohio idiom brought to life!


No comments:

Post a Comment