Monday, June 6, 2011

shoeless paul

Yes, the lesser-known, shoeless Paul. At least I think that is his name.
Today I had the following interaction with a student in my summer-class, who I'll call "shoeless
Paul" for reasons that will soon be very obvious.
I had noticed a few times before that this guy wasn't wearing any footware in class. At first I thought perhaps he just took off his shoes during class, especially since flipflops are so popular in the summer/spring. No, he actually doesn't wear shoes at all.
Today as I was walking to the classroom,I encountered him & he asked me something unrelated & I answered (this being one of the longest & probably only interactions I have had with any of the students in this class, to date). I decided this was as good an opportunity as any to ask about his lack of shoes- I suppose I didn't stop to think that he could not afford shoes, which would have made me feel bad, but otherwise he seemed normally attired for class. I asked him if he was not afraid of stepping in or on things, although I suppose I should have realized he must not, if he chooses to go barefoot all the time.
He didn't seem surprised by my question (surely I'm not the first to ask) and said he didn't really step in things very often and that it only hurt a little at first. Good to know. I asked about stepping on something like glass but I guess this does not happen as often as you might think. I am reassured. But I don't think I will be walking around campus barefoot any time soon.
Also, I'm guessing you actually are supposed to wear shoes inside buildings. I wonder what he does in other places (ie. places like restaurants, bank, etc.).
Oh well... guess I will be left to wonder..

2 comments:

  1. Today I saw a guy walking barefoot across the greenfield bridge into schenley park. He was carrying flipflops and a yoga mat. I don't know why he wasn't wearing the flipflops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty odd too- I can see him wanting to DO yoga barefoot but why did he need to walk there barefoot?
    One day I thought this guy rode his bike barefoot too, because I went to the class and there was a bike parked by his seat; but it turned out to belong to the girl sitting behind him.

    ReplyDelete