Thursday, February 24, 2011

Back and forth...

Today I was unable to get across the idea of using re-usable/canvas shopping bags In lieu of PLASTIC bags,-
I went to the grocery store to pick up a few items. When I checked out, I handed the cashier my bag, and he started packing it for me. Except when he got to the package of chicken, he started putting it in a plastic bag. I said, Oh yeah, I have my own bag- just trying to be nice about it.
But just as pleasantly he said Oh I always put chicken or meat in a plastic bag, what if it leaks.
Hmm...it would leak into the plastic bag then??? And be just as messy.

I think he was missing the point behind bringing your own bag(s) but he was trying to be helpful. Amusingly or ironically, the store actually gives you 5 cents back for using your own bag. Hmm. I decided it wasn't worth arguing back and forth about, so I took the bag, and when I was outside took it out of my bag and stuffed it in one of those plastic bag recycling bins.

Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm - I never really thought about that because I never buy meat. Now that I think about it, I would probably want to have something to protect my lovely reusable bag from the blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was smart of you to put it in the bag recycling. Long ago, my roommate and I went grocery shopping and forgot our bags. We were consistent about how much we purchased, so what usually filled our two bags plus overflow in two plastic bags ended up in about 10 plastic bags. Before leaving the store, we rearranged everything into 5 or 6 bags so that it would be easier to carry (we had to walk about 5 blocks) and I wanted to put the bags in the bag recycling bin. My roommate thought that the bagger could reuse the bags, so she handed them to him. He threw them out in the trash.

    ReplyDelete