Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Smells like teen spirit...

Okay, not really. It's sort of a mix of stale beer and ??? I can't quite place what the rest of that lovely cocktail is but it's the smell that permeates the recycling/redemption "center" at the Hy-vee. I can see how this alone could be a deterrent to returning those bottles and cans. Cuz let's face it... unless you're already going shopping and you've got a respectable pile of bottles and cans to return, is the prospect of a few nickels (or nickels off your grocery bill) really worth facing that tantalizing aroma? Something about the smell of stagnant beer puddles...Yum.
Plus, I know I've mentioned it before, but the machines suck. They work for about 3 cans/bottles and then nope, they just stop working. This has happened every time I've tried using them. It doesn't matter if you follow the directions and use the right machine for the right type of bottle. They just don't like it and make you take your bottle/can, which has now gone into the machine and been rejected and spit back out at you, back. It's gross. I can easily see how people are discouraged OR wind up at Ames Redemption on Saturday mornings with garbage-bagfulls of cans.

But the alternative is landfill, which makes me sad. I talked to someone today who works with school recycling and asked about the city recycling and was told the city garbage will burn some of the recyclables for energy? but the temperature isn't high enough for glass to burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment